Settlement Workers In Schools (SWIS)
The Settlement Workers In Schools program (SWIS) is a school-based outreach program that assists students in Kindergarten to Grade 12. This program helps newcomer students and their families transition into the Canadian school system and a new community.
SWIS assists student and families with:
- School registration and orientation.
- Understanding school policies and procedures.
- Communicating with teachers and administrators.
- Supporting newcomer students as they transition into the Canadian school system.
- Supporting newcomer families as they transition into a new community.
- Connecting newcomer students and families with community resources and services.
- Workshops, information sessions, and support groups. (E.g. Parenting in Canada, Parenting circle, Lunchbox nutrition, Children and youth mentoring sessions).
The Settlement Workers In Schools program is open to immigrant and refugee students and their parents or caregivers (e.g. grandparents) who are currently living in the School District 73 area.