So far in the media all the information we hear about Syrian people is related to refugees, war, migration, casualties, injustice, conflict, etc. At another event, someone asked: “What language do people speak in Syria?” We immediately understood that people in Canada, BC and Kamloops need to learn more about Syrian people and culture in order to better welcome and include our ‘new neighbors’. Join us on Friday December 18 as we welcome guest speaker Rahim Othman, Spokesperson for the Syrian Canadian Council of BC, who will talk to us about Syrian culture.
11:00 am: Introduction and presentation on Syrian culture.
12:00 pm: multicultural lunch & mingle.
1:00~2:00 pm: panel discussion on the preparations for refugees coming to Kamloops.
The panel will include:
– Paul Lagace, Executive Director of Kamloops Immigrant Services
– RAFT – Refugees and Friends Together representative
– Bill Sundhu, International Human Rights Lawyer
– Kamloops Islamic Association representative Faisal Siddiqui, and Imam Mazhar Mahmood from the Kamloops Ayehsa Mosque.
2:00~2:30pm: open Q&A
2:30~3:00pm: Record welcome messages to Syrians who will be coming to Kamloops!
– We will have a station set up where individuals and small groups can record a (video) welcome message.
Thereafter, we will be posting messages online using YouTube and social media
Please RSVP, as space is limited.