Community Connections workshops, activities, and events bridge the gap between those who are new to Canada and those who are further along in their settlement process.
– parenting in Canada
– community services and more!
If you are interested in learning more about a certain topic and don’t see it on our workshop list, please contact a Settlement Worker at 778-470-6101.
Click here for event information and past workshops.
What is The Community Connections Mentoring Program?
A friendship program to match community residents (mentoring volunteers) with immigrants in Kamloops and surrounding communities. Help immigrants learn through a process of social engagement activities:
– How to live in Canada
– How to adjust to the community
– Provide opportunities to practice English
– The Youth Program matches volunteer youth in the same range from ages 8+
Who is a Mentoring Volunteer?
– People who live in the community (more than three years)
– Someone who wants to learn more about other cultures
– Someone who is interested in multicultural and global issues
– A person who wants to help someone adjust to living in a new country
How to Join:
– Fill out a volunteer application
– Have a criminal record check done by the RCMP
– Have an interview with the Community Connections Coordinator to assist with matching
– Have fun!
What are the Benefits?
As a Mentoring Volunteer:
– You will make new friends
– Learn about other cultures
– Enhance someone’s English language skills
– Be a guide to the community/country
As a Newcomer:
– Learn about local information and community resources
– Practice conversational English and learn local vocabulary
– Meet new people in your community
Kids Summer Fun Program 2017
Come in to pick you your volunteer application & start the criminal record check process!